Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:57:31 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

I think people are making too much of this. One of the good things
about IRC is that anyone can start a channel. One of the bad things
about IRC is that anyone can start a channel. :)  If people were to go
to irc.freebsd.org and start their own channel the other people on the
server would never know you were there unless they did a /list, and you
can mark the channel "secret" if you want to avoid that. :)

	The advantage of starting a channel on a large network is that when
#freebsd-whatever is boring, there are other places to be and things to
do. :) I agree that there probably aren't enough users to justify
spreading across more than one network. I honestly don't care if you
concentrate on dalnet or not, but of the 3 largest networks it is
certainly the easiest one to establish and protect a channel on. I also
know almost all of the chanops on dalnet #freebsd and sue's experience
aside they are knowledgeable and willing to answer questions from
anyone. That doesn't mean that the knowledgeable people will always be
there. :)

	In any case, an IRC channel for new users would be a lot like this
mailing list. A place for people to gather and chat about their
experiences. Whatever else happens is gravy and y'all can take it as it
comes. My suggestion is to pick a network, pick a channel name and just
enjoy yourselves. :)  If you're on dalnet, invite me sometime, if I'm
not busy I'll be happy to come say hi.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet