Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 11:41:36 -0700
From:      "Khairuddin Abdul Ghani" <abdulgha@usc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mysterious shutdowns

Hello.

First thanks to Crist for helping me with my talkd problem, but now there
seems to be something more sinister happening on my machine.

At least once a day, the machine would 'shutdown' (as noted in the 'last'
output) mysteriously for no apparent reason. What bothers me is that just
before or during each shutdown, there would be a ton of traffic going into
the machine (an outside attack it seems). Unfortunately, nothing seems to be
logged, because syslogd dies during the shutdown. Sometimes certain
libraries like mm and tcl which are heavily used would disappear.

At the moment I'm trying to log incoming connections with log_in_vain, and
maybe just running tcpdump indefinitely. If there are any better ways,
please tell. I have IPFIREWALL compiled with log amount of 50 and VERBOSE.

Best regards, Rudy.

eg. last | grep shutdown:
shutdown         ~                         Fri May 19 15:09
flash            ttypm    194.133.37.38    Fri May 19 15:04 - shutdown
(00:05)
misterio         ttyp5    62.11.132.164    Fri May 19 15:01 - shutdown
(00:07)
di0lam0r         ttypb    a-na12-61.tin.it Fri May 19 12:44 - shutdown
(02:24)
xgen             ttyp6    res-3617.usc.edu Fri May 19 10:59 - shutdown
(04:09)

/var/log/messages:
May 21 05:21:47 sage syslogd: exiting on signal 15