Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 96 12:28 PST
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        compland@ism.com.br
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two ethernets

In article <199603230050.VAA16622@unix1.ism.com.br> compland writes:
>Hi:

>    I'm stuck with a problem: I had a single ethernet on a server an everything
>was just fine...But I decided to put another one and it simply stops to see
>the others machines (and vice versa). When I boot the server, it gets stuck
>when runs the daemon routed. I double checked irq's, io addresses and they
>are fine - no conflicts. If I remove the second ethernet, everything turns
>to normality again. What I'm missing ?

Don't know from that description; I have 4 machines doing exactly this
(two are acting as filtering routers and the other two are firewalls
 (which thus don't run routed...)).  None of these have any problems,
with 2.0.5R, 2.1R, "-stable" or 1.1.5R (yes, it's old!).

You do need to make sure that none of the ip address/netmask pairs
overlap, though I don't know if routed would hang in that case.
Check the ifconfig parms for both cards, and make sure you have only
one default route (and that the default route *works*)...

If you're running ISA SMC cards (and some others too) they have memory
windows too; those have to be different from each other and from anything
else on the bus, also (VERY important) marked non-cacheable to the bios
if there is such an option in your setup (most pentium and some 486
systems take care of this one in the page table and not in bios setup;
I presume that fbsd sets that bit for cpu's that support it).

(I've even run machines with two cards on the same physical net with
non-overlapping address/netmasks to handle a transition; that worked
fine though some routes got inefficient, especially for UDP...  In
this case you shouldn't run routed without -q, though if all routers
are set up right it won't hurt) (I used separate cards because with
aliases routes got stuck sometimes; the machine never crashed but
sometimes it wouldn't get to one or the other subnet.)

-- Pete