Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:29:17 -0500
From:      "John C. Place" <placej@ctcdist.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.3 Opens port 8080 explained

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 01:51:59PM -0500, John C. Place wrote:
> The problem was that on a fresh install the http daemon opens Port 8080. I
> Think this was a mistake and I could not find this documented anywhere.
> Thanks to all who took the time to reply. And I am happy to say once again it
> was not FreeBSD falling down. Keep up the most excelent work.

The folks on the news group comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix explained why
this happens and I wanted to document it for future reference. Forgive me if
this is overkill.

L8er
John

Re: Apache 1.3.3 opens port 8080
Author:  Joshua Slive
Date: 1998/12/14
Forums: comp.infosystems.www.servers.uni

John C. Place <placej@placej.ctcdist.com> wrote:
> I Just installed Apache 1.3.3 on FreeBSD 2.2.7 and it made and Installed
> cleanly with no problems (using the "new" APACI method) and also started with no
> problems. The problem is I could not connedt to it using multiple clients both
> local and external. I found that http.conf has Port set to 8080 not 80. Is this
> a problem or am I unaware of some changes to Apache?? I changed it to 80 and
> things work fine.

> I dont know if this is a true bug or my ignorance that is why I am posting here.
> I have installed quite a few 1.2 servers on the QNX platform but this is my
> first 1.3 on FreeBSD.

APACI has some surprising features.  One of them is that if you
compile (install?) apache as an non-root user, it assumes that you
will also be running it as a non-root user and therefore sets the port
to something a non-root user can access.  Solution: compile/install as
root or just change the port afterwards.

<Lesson on netiquete deleted>