Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:39:04 EST
From:      VISISHTA <VISISHTA@aol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install Problems

Hi ...

I have a Sony PCV200 multimedia PC with, 233MHz PII,  4GB EIDE HDD and
Microsoft Windows95  as the OS. I partitioned the Hard Drive using
PowerQuest's PQ Magic and created a 900MB partition for installing FreeBSD. I
obtained the Version 2.2.5, 4-CD pack from  WalnutCreek.
I made several attempts to install FreeBSD to the new partition
unsuccessfully. The BIOS settings for the HDD are 14848-cylinders, 9-heads,
63-sectors per track. I noticed that MS-Dos, Win95 and FreeBSD too ( in the
config mode), were reading the drive geometry as 524-Cylinders, 255-heads and
63-sectors per track.
During the installation process I get a popup saying "unable to install files
to \bin " (something like that). After going through the installation process
and when the system is rebooted to FreeBSD OS (with Boot Manager installed), I
get an error message saying "cannot find config file", "cannot find kernel".
Another strange problem is I cannot create a FreeBSD boot floppy. when I run
the Make floppy utility from the VIEW menu, the floppy gets formatted but
aborts immediately  with an error "unable to find sector " .
I am complete novice to Unix but have installed with other OSs like DOS
(Windows) and WinNT. I am not sure if I am doing something radically wrong, as
I can't install FreeBSD even with the help of the HandBook.
Help me guys. Thanks

Nandakishore Bhajana
Email : visishta@aol.com