Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:10:13 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>, "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bitmapped background in Xterm?

On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 01:03:40PM -0800, K. Marsh wrote:
> I've been trying to find ways to impress my friends and relatives into
> using FreeBSD, and shallow as it may seem, I think a bitmapped background
> for an Xterm may help a lot.  I've seen these in screen captures of
> "enlightenment".

I suggest using xv to obtain this effect.  The port is in
/usr/ports/graphics/xv/ ; a usage which gets what you want is (from your
.xinitrc, probably):

xv -rmode 5 -maxpect -quit -random `find -L /foo/graphics/background/ -name "[A-Za-z]*" -print` &

This will randomly select from all pics in /foo/graphics/background/ and
display one in the root window.  Along the way, it will inflate the
graphic to as close as it can get to the virtual display dimensions
while retaining the original aspect ratio.  Any space not covered by the
graphic will be black.

If you "man xv", you'll see a lot of options.  Read up on "-root",
"-rmode", "-quit" and you'll be in good shape.  Enjoy!

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    The best way to accelerate Windows
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com             is at 9.8 m/s^2.