Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:47:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

> > No.  Lack of ACCESS caching makes us slow and eats the network (because
> > we are very good at generating/sending/receiving them).
>    I have 50 266 Mhz pc's clustered around 3 netapp F630 Filers used
> as compile servers for an in-house distributed make facility.

Yeep.  Looks like a pretty monster build farm.  I take it you're not
targetting FreeBSD with the build itself?

>    85% of the traffic to the netapp(s) 'was' due to access calls. I
> do not recommend it for public consumption, but the following patch
> reduces the access overhead to less than 20%.

Hmm.  I would (naively) have expected this to reduce it to 0.  Where
else do we make access RPCs from?

> ps: BTW, I cannot amd mount the filers due to a problem with GARBAGE_ARGS
>     being returned from clnt_call() in amfs_host.c\fetch_fhandle() regardless
>     of whether I force a V2 or V3 mount protocol.  This is a 'random' error
>     which I can get to occurr approximately 1 out of 10 mounts.

Is this the "old" amd, or the "new" am-utils amd?  It sounds like one
or more uninitialised fields in the request structure...