Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 06:50:07 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable (still worth supping?)

>The subject says it. Is -stable stil alive or should one
>abandon supping it?

The demise of -stable is, IMHO, somewhat exaggerated. I expect that thare
will continue to be occasional corrections that will be incorporated. If
"stable" is more appropriate than "current" for your needs, I encourage you
to continue to track it. However, you might wish to switch to CTM as your
update mechanism. That way you will automatically get notification of any
changes without placing a burden on the servers.

Since it is a slowly changing target, it is not difficult to fake the
conversion from sup to CTM. For those who cannot maintain the entire tree,
it is also reasonable to manually bypass an occasional update to the
portion of the tree which you are not maintaining.

If nothing else, you can use the arrival of a CTM update as a trigger to
use sup to update your tree.