Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        root <lord@connection.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: permission denied

what groups are you in?

in order to "su" in BSD, you have to be a member of group wheel. if you're
not sure that you're in the group, do a more of /etc/group, and
check. you should see something like this:

	wheel:*:0:root

you should use pw(8) or simply vi, to modify the file, and add your own
login to it. be sure you separate it with a comma.

hope this helps a bit,

-- jan

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, root wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No matter what form of Unix I use, I get  'permission denied' logged in
> as root.
> But if I use a  file manager  to access the same thing, I can.
> All I have for FreeBSD is Xterm and I'm trying to compile the kernel.
> How do I solve this problem???
> I've tried every form of Linux and Solaris7 and have the same problem.
> Is it in how the installation is done? Am I missing something along the
> way???
>
> Please help. I got the get away from Windows.
>

> Harv
> lord@connection.com

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."