Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:41:03 -0500
From:      Joshua Smith <juicewvu@gmail.com>
To:        Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: projects to better support FreeBSD sysadmins

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:14 PM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:
>=20
> At Craig Rodrigues' request, I'm starting a new thread here branched
> from a freebsd-ports@ thread.  For those who want more context, the
> original thread starts here:
>=20
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2015-January/097462.html=

>=20
> It was initially about BIND REPLACE_BASE, but branched off into
> general sysadmin concerns that Craig wanted to respond to.
>=20
> Royce
>=20

I would hardly consider this esoteric.=20

> - amd64 Xen Paravirtualization
> - bhyve

The ability for FreeBSD to host VMs is definitely something that I find very=
 interesting and useful. I am a sysadmin.=20

> - Chelsio iSCSI Offload Support
> - Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
> - FreeBSD Preseed Installation (PXE)

This also fits right in the making a sysadmin a life easier wheel house.=20

> - Jenkins Continuous Integration for FreeBSD
> - New Automounter

An auto mounter that behaves more like what is in other unixes also improves=
 my life as a sysadmin.=20

> - QEMU bsd-user-Enabled Ports Building
> - VMWare VAAI and Microsoft ODX Acceleration in CTL

Not really sysadmin focused but definitely not esoteric.=20

> - ZFSguru
> - Intel GPU Driver Update
> - SDIO Driver
> - UEFI Boot

Like it or not UEFI is the future supporting it well is not optional.=20

> - Updated vt(4) System Console
> - Updating OpenCrypto
> - FreeBSD on Newer ARM Boards

> - FreeBSD/arm64
> - LLDB Debugger Port
> - LLVM Address Sanitizer (Asan)
> - SSE Variants of libc Routines for amd64
> - FreeBSD Python Ports
> - GNOME/FreeBSD
> - KDE on FreeBSD
> - The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD
> - Xfce
>=20
> The Foundation section also lists these items not overlapping with the abo=
ve:
>=20
> - FreeBSD Journal
> - PostgreSQL performance improvements
> - Ongoing release process
> - Development snapshots

A better release process will likely benefit me as a sysadmin.=20

> - VM images for releases

Being able to boot the base system on the hyper visor of my choice with out h=
aving to muddle through the installer is a huge time saver and a bandit of s=
ysadmin a everywhere.=20

> - Secure Boot planning
> - Infrastructure hardware
> - Java licensing
> - Summits and summit sponsorship
> - Travel grants, tutorials, and talks
> - New Design and Implementation book
> - Recruitment flyers
>=20
> Are there long-term improvement projects that aren't being listed?  If
> so, they should be.

These are just projects sponsored by the foundation. I'm sure there are many=
 other developments occurring throughout the project that are not listed her=
e because they are not sponsored by the foundation.=20

>=20
> At face value, the main project list is heavily weighted towards
> relatively esoteric OS features.

See my other comments above. Frankly this is a bullshit statement.=20

> The Foundation list is heavily
> weighted towards advocacy and communication (as it should be).
>=20
> What is missing are high-level projects to help sysadmins maintain and
> use FreeBSD on an ongoing basis.
>=20
> Here are some projects that would help to close the sysadmin gap:
>=20
> - Automatic error reporting and analysis

A crash reporting mechanism already exists.=20

> - OS and port debugging tools for sysadmins
> - Independent project-wide usability analysis

What does this mean? If you run into a usability or any other sort of proble=
m. Submit a PR.=20

> - Ports dependency isolation and reduction framework

Doesn't seem like a sysadmin type thing to me.=20

> - Ports system reliability parity with Linuxes

Can you provide more details and expand upon this?

> - Searchable, taggable project FAQ

Any number of the projects above are far more beneficial to sysadmin a every=
where than this.=20

> - Searchable hardware support matrix integrated with bug tracker

+1 for this.=20

> - Wiki curation and platform improvements
>=20
> These projects decentralize and improve support for sysadmins and new
> adopters.  As a business case for the Foundation, these projects
> should also deeply free up developer resources to focus on other major
> projects.
>=20
> In the past, when I have pointed out this "sysadmin gap", I receive
> one of two answers:
>=20
> 1. Sounds great. Let us know when you have it finished.

Perhaps just getting started with something would entice support.=20