Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:46:52 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need majordomo help!

>I am having problem getting majordomo to send mail to a list; the
>only odd thing that I found was in /var/log/maillog
>mail is being archived and digested properly and subscribe, unsubscribe
>and administrative commands work OK; the only exception is the "clone"
>thing that I see in /var/log/maillog when message is sent to the list.
>in /var/log/maillog:
>
># here a message was sent from a yahoo.com to the list;
>
>Jan 18 21:28:05 almazs sendmail[95197]: VAA95197: from=<dberhe@yahoo.com>,
>size=576, class=0, pri=30576, nrcpts=1,
>msgid=<20000119052802.1754.qmail@web1605.mail
>.yahoo.com>, proto=SMTP, relay=web1605.mail.yahoo.com [128.11.23.205]
>
>Jan 18 21:28:05 almazs sendmail[95199]: VAA95199: clone
>VAA95198, owner=admin
>
>Jan 18 21:28:06 almazs sendmail[95204]: VAA95204:
>from=owner-mission@mail.pacex.net, size=830, class=-60, pri=168830,
>nrcpts=2,msgid=<20000119052802.1754.qmail
>@web1605.mail.yahoo.com>, relay=majordomo@localhost
>
>Jan 18 21:28:06 almazs sendmail[95204]: VAB95204: clone VAA95204,
>owner=owner-mission
>
>What this "clone" thing in the maillog?
>Why am I not seeing messages in the list?

The clone message is caused by the presence of an owner-  alias, which
causes sendmail to change the smtp envelope from address to the value
of the owner-  alias.  owner=owner-mission is kind of strange, though.
Do you have an alias that says "owner-mission: owner-mission" ?

Also the message has to go _somewhere_.  These log entries don't show
a final delivery happening.  Are there any accompanying log entries
containing "to=whatever" and "stat=Sent" or stat=queued" ?  Also do
you get anything interesting from the 'mailq' command?

I won't claim to be a majordomo expert.  I do use parts of an old
version of it with the lists I run, but I haven't looked at recent
versions and it's been years since I've read the docs.  You will no
doubt get better help with questions specific to majordomo from the
majordomo-users list, which last I knew was at greatcircle.com.  Check
the majordomo docs if that's not its current location.

-Mitch