Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 14:57:01 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        Andy Angrick <angrick@netdirect.net>, Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Stress testing

> One query I have:  if my file system keeps tabs on when
> files were last accessed, does that mean that every file
> opened requires a disk access, even if it is cached, or
> does this mark the cached info as dirty so that it will
> be written at a future time?  Does anyone have any
> experience with the effect on apache performance of
> mounting the file system with the noatime flag?

I haven't looked at that but this makes me think of something you
might not know, I think I read it on Wired's Webmonkey section
(general article about Apache 1.3 performance, there is a lot more
than just this - I can't remember it all atm but it might be
interesting/useful). Sorry I don't have the url handy :(

From what I remember if you have "followsymlinks no" Apache has to
look up all the parent directories of the document directory (/
/usr /usr/local /usr/local/www /usr/local/www/data and any others)
to check they're not symlinks. Similarly if "allowoverride" is not
set to anything other than "none" there is a similar lookup for
.htaccess files.

-hackers or maybe -questions would be a good place to ask about
FS cache / noatime if nobody here knows. I reckon that unless you
actually want the access time info someplace other than apache's
log, you might as well save the extra fs writes ;)

Stuart