Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:30:27 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java...

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 12:24:13PM -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
> This doesn't sound like good news to me.  (Good news for FreeBSD 5 though I
> suppose).

It's mixed, but they're kind of the same thing, so working threading issues are
pretty much essential for doing JVM hacking.

Basically, I need to continue with my career track and it's not logical for me
to narrow myself doing JVM internals programming. I never really got to do kernel
programming when I was at BSDi per se even though I was headed into the core
engineering staff.

The JVM was sort of a misguided suicidal test for anybody at any technical level
to see if I can handle it or not.

I think I won. ;)

> How lean is the FreeBSD Java team right now?   Does this compromise the target
> of FreeBSD shipping a Sun-approved JVM at all?   I think everyone would
> probably love to know more about the people behind the project here.

Very lean. It's pretty much just Greg now part time. I'm still half working on
it since I'm around all the dependent systems, but I'd really like to get into
other more kernelly stuff at this time.

I talked to Jeffery Hsu about this on IRC and he thinks it's a good manuever.

> Also I would like to know whether the JVM patchset releases are pretty much
> frozen because of the work around KSEs.  I was hoping to see a more
> aggressive patchset release schedule (I would have expected us to be at 8 or
> 9 by now) ... but it seems like we're just dealing with the status quo until
> FreeBSD 5.0 ships.  (That's my rough perception of it)

I'll be more tightly integrated to pthreads issues until development gets
decoupled by a backport effort of -current's libc_r. That's my guess.

bill