Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2017 14:07:34 +0300
From:      Konstantin <k.shesternin@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem

> What exactly is this "first stage"? The actual first stage of
> (classic BIOS) booting is the MBR / boot manager, second stage
> is the kernel loader, third stage is the kernel itself, fourth
> stage is init. :-)

=E2=80=8BIt stop when on screen i see "...FreeBSD bootstrap loader..."

> Also, please explain the system behaviour: Does it hang (i. e.,
> become fully unresponsive both regarding keyboard input and
> network access, for example via SSH or telnet), does it
> crash (and if yes, with which message), or does it suddenly
> reboot? Does it do this every time or just occassionally?

=E2=80=8BDue first 15-20 seconds i can reboot PC with ctl-alt-del, so keybo=
ard=E2=80=8B is
working,
but after this time it hang - image on screen froze, keyboard stop working.
Only hard-reset or power-off.

> In case your keyboard is a USB keyboard which first runs in
> some legacy mode (via BIOS), and then using the kernel's ukbd
> driver: If the kernel didn't recognize your keyboard, its input
> won't reach anything. Can you check the boot messages for the
> "ukbd" entry?
>
> Six months ago, did you do something "unusual" to your system,
> like replacing a hardware component or changing the OS software?

=E2=80=8BMaybe some updates via freebsd-update fetch|install, not sure.
=E2=80=8B

> > I boot the system from the installation flash drive, from the bootloade=
> > command line I do the following
> > unload
> > set currdev=3D"disk1p2"
> > read-conf /boot/loader.conf
> > boot-conf
>
> Does the OS (on the disk) boot correctly, and will it stay
> responsive after booting this way?

=E2=80=8B
After boot this way system work well about 2-3 month without any problems=
=E2=80=8B.
I shutdown it myself for cleaning dust.

Have you tried booting from a 11.0 flash drive and using the
> kernel from that media (i. e., without the "unload" command)?
> This way you could rule out a kernel problem. Additionally,
> when booting from USB flash media, does booting the _whole OS_
> from that media stay responsive after booting?

=E2=80=8BI do not try boot without "unload", but system boot from USB-flash=
 and
work in normal mode.=E2=80=8B

> > FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p12
>
> That's a
> =E2=80=8B=E2=80=8B
> fairly current OS version. Is it running a custom kernel?

=E2=80=8BNo, it runs with generic kernel=E2=80=8B

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:55:04 +0300, Konstantin wrote:
> > There are no UEFI on the PC - it`s a 8-years old socket 775 platform. A=
nd
> > no optical drive.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem, except of course you're experiencing some
> kind of hardware failure, which is at least possible at such an age,
> but the age alone doesn't imply it. (My home PC is 10 years old and
> still working.)

=E2=80=8BIt was answer to =E2=80=8BManish Jain, who ask me try run the syst=
em without UEFI.