Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:25:46 +0300 (EAT)
From:      <ksemat@wawa.eahd.or.ug>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@collinsworth.info>
Cc:        Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Vendors For WU-FTPD Please Read

> Agreed, a few less is always better than a few more.  But applying
> security updates is part of our job as sysadmins.  If you have lots
> of boxen to look after, you need to automate the update process.
> There are various approaches to this.  I like cfengine.  We're now
> experimenting with PXE and auto reinstalls.  There are other good
> approaches besides these.

rdist is an interesting approach for keeping multiple machine upto date.

on the note about ftp daemons. I hav been using vsftpd for some time and I
am yet to hear of any security bugs. I like the simple way in which one
can chroot users to their home directories by simply putting the user name
in a file.

Noah.