Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 23:04:07 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Edgard Capdevielle" <capdevie@Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        "Freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL network connectivity, please.

"Edgard Capdevielle" writes:
> I want to setup my FreeBSD box so that it connects to the internet with DSL.
> I have searched the archives and found similar questions but no answers.
>
> My ISP gave me a fixed hostname IP, a netmask, a DNS IP, a secondary DNS IP,
> and a gateway IP. My box is a Gateway GP6 350 with 64 RAM and two NICs: pn0
> and pn1 that are 10/100 Ethernet cards.  When using Win98 it is easy to
> setup because they have a driver name.  In FreeBSD I do not know which card
> is pn0 or pn1.  The FreeBSD book does not cover DSL connections.

You have a static IP address, so there really isn't anything special to
cover for DSL other than the fact one usually shouldn't place more than
one device on a DSL or cablemodem. You seem to have that covered with
two NIC's.

Assuming the NICs are identical make and model (else they would be easy
to tell apart) to tell which NIC is which there is usually a sticker
showing the MAC address. FreeBSD shows the MAC addresses for each card
when the card is probed. You can review the startup probe output with
"dmesg | more".

Otherwise you could simply configure one for the DSL link. If that
doesn't work then plug your DSL ethernet into the other NIC. No need to
reboot in between.

Once you have the DSL link working, configure the other ethernet for
your internal network. I presume thats why you have two NIC's?