Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 04:54:25 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: jedit-3.2.0

Maxim,

Having a few problems here with jedit that appear to be due to the porting,
so I thought I'd let you know about them.  Before I get into that, THANK YOU
for porting this editor!!  It's the best damn editor I've yet to see on my
FreeBSD desktop by a long way.

The help docs seem to have a path problem.  If you open up help you'll get
the proper main page on the right with the menu on the left.  Clicking on the
links in the main page all work, and start with a prefix of /doc.  The menu
items on the left are all broken links, and do not have the /doc in the path.

The port calls for a dependency to Java 1.1, which works fine.  Then when it
goes to configure jEdit itself it okays adding in firewall support.  This
plug-in requires Java 2.0 and forces an error dialog every time you start
jEdit.

Probably not a port issue, but I'm getting intermittent start ups with jEdit.
Most of the time it starts right up, other times it starts the process but
never actually gets a screen going.

Even with these glitches, it's great to finally have an editor that didn't
base it's keyboard layout on a PDP-11, and can properly highlight PHP.  This
thing is definitely gonna get some use.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."