Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:42:46 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembler programming

> The reason I'm so
> interested in assembly code is because I developed a few C callable
> modules for DOS using MASM.  They were simple-but-fast graphics routines
> that I've been able to use on nearly ANY C compiler.  I'd hoped to be
> able to use the same source (with a few mods) and re-assemble them and
> use them in attempting to port some of my stuff to UNIX. (WHAT WAS I
> THINKING ???!)

This probably wouldn't work anyway - accessing any hardware directly
is not very easy under Unix, and with good reason. The easiest way to
do it under X is to look into things like Tcl/Tk.

There are graphics libraries like PEX or GKS available. PEX comes with
X; I submitted a port for an X version of GKS a while back but never
heard any more about it (must get around to re-submitting it sometime).
These are both international standards, so (in theory) any program
you write using them should be portable.

Neither of these are going to be as fast as assembler, but that's the
price you pay for being portable!

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk