Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:49:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Fuhrman <cfuhrman@tfcci.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request for opinions: what is spam

Howdy,

Did a little googling and came up with some of the following links:

MAPS  Definition  :           http://mail-abuse.org/standard.html
CAUCE FAQ on SPAM :           http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml

There is also a petition set up by Ronald F. Guilmette which attempts to
come up with a commonly-accepted definition of SPAM:

http://www.monkeys.com/spam-defined/definition.shtml

As for your advertising problems, have you tried to do targeted snail-mail
mailings?  (Of course with the postal system in it's current state that
might not be all that reliable to begin with... )

Cheers!

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Bill Moran wrote:

> I've been having a tough couple of months and I just had some
> things happen today that are causing me to re-evaluate some of
> my beliefs.
>
> One thing, central to this, is where do you draw the line
> between promotion and spam?
>
> I'll give the example that really got me thinking:
>
> Got an email today through the "moreinfo@" address for my
> company, which is listed on the web site on the contact
> page.  The email stated that "I got your email from a
> list server".
> Now, technically this is a lie, because the "moreinfo@" address
> is _never_ used to _send_ mail, so it would never appear on
> any list server.
> I can see what _might_ have been done, however.  Notice my
> sig below.  Now, that'll be on list servers for any list I post
> to and this guy may have stopped by the web site, checked out
> the contact page for the address, and sent me the mail.
>
> So my first question is: "Is this spam?"
>
> But the deeper, underlying question is: "Where do I draw the line
> with promotional activities?"  This is _the_ key question for my
> business right now, because we _must_ promote to be successful,
> but there are obviously some ways of promotion that are simply
> unethical.
> An example is that I recently posted to the jobs@freebsd.com list
> an announcement about my company and that we're seeking new customers.
> To me, that's what that particular list is for.  I would never
> have posted such an announcement to questions@ or any other FreeBSD
> list.  I received one complaint that it was an inapprorpiate posting,
> and while I don't know how many people subscribe to that list, I'm
> assuming that that's a pretty low percentage that I offended.
> (On the flip side, I'm wishing I had never posted it, since it resulted
> in no new business for me. IOW it was totally ineffective and made
> me 1 enemy)
> I don't want to get too long winded at this point, but beyond the spam
> questions, what kind of promotion do you guys consider legetimate and
> what do you consider "over the top"?  How about cold-calling?  Our
> current budget simply won't allow for magazine or similar advertising
> at this point, so what should we do?

- --
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman@tfcci.com      | Software Engineer
(W) 614-442-1215 x271   |
(F) 614-442-5662        | PGP/GPG Public Key Available on Request