Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:39:19 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: End-of-life for my amd64 ?

--------------enigB2886D560AA55CE94910B1FF

NetOpsCenter wrote:

> I have been using FreeBSD 7.0  since Jan  8 2007  CURRENT on this box=20
> which is a desktop for browsing and email  with a Dual core AMD CPU set=
up.
> It rocks.
>=20
> I use FreeBSD 7.0 Current on 2 small mailservers using 3 year old=20
> hardware and it is rock solid. I believe the FreeBSD team has really go=
t=20
> their act together on this one.

Are you using any of the new features in 7.x? SCHED_ULE, ZFS? Because my =

only 7.x production server that does crashes daily (luckily it's not a=20
critical machine) and non-server machines are not far behind. If you're=20
not using the "new" features, you could just as well run 6.x :)

I'm actively trying to solve some of these problems, but from my=20
experience (I do a lot of things that may be considered "experimental",=20
but mostly userland-side, I run "vanilla" kernels) 7 simply isn't stable =

yet. It might be in 7.0, but it's not yet.