Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:13:42 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just FYI [F00F bug]

Jordan, (and www@, to whom this is cc'd)

On Fri, Nov 14, 1997 at 06:38:49PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> I also think that this whole episode starkly illustrates the need for
> greater patience on the part of our users.  We've been literally
> inundated over the past 3 days with questions, flames and
> well-intentioned but wholly redundant forwards on the topic and all
> other work has more or less ground to a halt under the onslaught.

Could someone not have put a notice on the website, probably under the
'Newsflash' section?

Even something as simple as

    10-Nov-97[1]
      Pentium bug - We are aware of the F00F Pentium halting bug and are
        working with Intel on a fix. When we have a fix ready for public
        consumption it will be announced here, on the mailing list
        announce@freebsd.org and to the Usenet newsgroup
        comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce.

        Your patience is appreciated.

[1] Or whatever date it was

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
              It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission