Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 05:09:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        tcg@ime.net (Gary Chrysler)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to a Portmaster.

> They won't allow me to plug into the ether port do to the 56Kb line
> and the fact that I could suck it all up.

 :(

> The way I understood it was that they cannot restrict my bandwidth
> via the ether port, but since the SIO port is running at 57600 that
> it would prevent me from taking over the bandwidth of the 56.

 Grin... you'll do ok.  Running PPP/SLIP with compression at 57600 and
 you'll get _very_ good connectivity (compared to the average
 joe)

> Why do you say it would be a waste??

 Waste of serial ports when ethernet is designed for the job, works
 out-of-the-box etc..

> It's got to be better then dialup.

 Hehe.. thats true.  Since I've got my dialup setup I haven't had any
 problems.  I stuck a couple of good (read $$$) v.34 modems at each
 end, and helped setup the dialup router (freebsd) at the providers
 end so its nice and stable :)   Don't even notice it anymore, it
 all just works.... my standard phone line has been connected
 5 days now, and the best we have had is 31 (not that it matters if
 it drops... it just dials up again)

> Thanks for your input.

 No worries.  If the portmaster does SLIP then it might pay to use
 that since SLIP doesn't negotiate.   The benifits are that if
 either end disconnects (turns off or something) then you can just
 reattach it without thinking.   I'm running similar here where
 I can reboot (or turn off) my machine and the modem will hold
 the line open until it comes up again (at which time it just
 slattaches and thats it)

 Regards,
   Peter

--