Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router

Usually packet loss starts to occur when buffer space runs short (or I/O
mem on Cisco routers).  How many MBUFs do you have configured?  What does
netstat -m say?  You may want to tune your MBUFs in the kernel.  IF you
have a current CVS of -stable, checkout the tuning(7) manpage.  The thing
to tune would be NMBCLUSTERS.  For my large machines, I set it to 16384.
The default value is 1024, I think.

Joe Clarke