Date:      05 Feb 1999 09:50:13 +0100
From:      Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
Cc:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:47:03 -0500 (EST), Don <don@calis.blacksun.org> said:
> As far as I know MILO requires ARC firmware because it gets loaded from a
> DOS partition by ARC at boot time.

This is the usual way, but it's not required. It is possible to load
MILO from SRM, see

	http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/MILO-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5

Anyway, I got an XL-300 at home, for which there is no SRM firmware
available(*), so that's why I am interested in these issues: I'd love
to try FreeBSD instead of Linux. So my question is: has anybody
started already working on ARC/AlphaBIOS support for FreeBSD? Is there
any broad estimate available, how long it will take?

Thanks, Martin

(*) though there are rumors that the AS500 firmware might work
    with it, anybody tried that? I'd hate to try myself and be left
    with an unusable machine ...
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost+sig0@comnets.rwth-aachen.de
Communication Networks          | http://www.comnets.rwth-aachen.de/~ost