Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 09:22:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

Terry Lambert writes:

>>> What do you mean by 'sync'?  Do you really want to get down to layer
>>> 2?  In any case, you would only need one board: they handle a complete
>>> BRI.
>>
>> I mean I want to run 8 bit bytes down the line, not 10 bit bytes. :-)
>> Clocked serial.  Synchronous serial.
>>
>> I'd also need two cards - I manage both ends of the link, right? :-)
>> I wouldn't mind moving the serial load off of freefall anyway.
>> A semi-intelligent ISDN card could be stuck into a number of different
>> machines at WC.
>
> I thought you meant you wanted to bond two 56k channels... so he's not
> the only one who was confused.

I thought he wanted to bond two 64k channels.  That's what the card
supports.  A standard Basic Rate Interface has two 64 kb B channels
(for data) and a 16 kB D channel (for signalling).  At the risk of
repeating myself, many RBOCs can't handle this configuration and chop
one bit per byte off the B channel to simulate a D channel, leaving
only 56 kb/s bandwidth for the B channels.  In another mail, I
seriously doubted that the current software would be able to handle
this configuration.

Greg