Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:19:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mikel@vintners.net
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD Alpha FS compatible with Intel?

> Is the FreeBSD UFS identical between platforms?  More specifically, can I
> use an external SCSI drive with only data, on either an Alpha or Intel
> platform by merely moving the cable and powering up in the new config?

The table of contents layout is different.  The actual on disk
structures are the same.  So if you build a small module to
skip the platform appropriate portion of the bootstrap, and
decode the platform specific portion of the disklable, you
can use them between platforms easily.

This is generally most simply accomplished with a removable disk,
since you can skip the boot sector stuff (assuming a "dangerously
dedicated" disk), and deal only with the disklabel code.

I run a JAZ disk back and forth between the two with fairly
trivial hacks (WARNING: I'm usinging modified versions of
Julian's SLICE code to do this, and it won't work in -current
without lots of hacks, so you would probably be better off
hacking your own disklabel recognition).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.