Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:12:53 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (postfix) SPAM filter?

On Dec 12, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
> We have a need for a relatively painless anti-spam solution that
> would reduce the amount of incoming spam (via postfix mail router).
> The problem is that i have little knowledge on what this actually
> means. Googling reveals a whole "universe" of interesting ways but
> what should i pursue?
> The things that are important to me is:
>
> * Once it is setup then it would require no additional maintenance.
> * Potential spam messages are marked with a special header that can
> be filtered on user discretion on their local mail client software.

Install the following:

/usr/ports/mail/postfix-policyd-weight
/usr/ports/mail/postgrey
/usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
/usr/ports/security/amavisd-new
/usr/ports/security/clamav

policyd + postgrey provide rather good, very lightweight initial
filtering of email without taking up a lot of memory or resources, and
remove a lot of workload, so that the Amavisd+ClamAV+SA combination
only has to do virus-scanning and SpamAssassin's expensive Bayesian
word-mangling on emails which seem to be legit.

Regards,
--
-Chuck