Date:      20 Sep 1998 16:21:48 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aout-to-elf-build failure [2.2.7-STABLE -> 3.0-CURRENT]

"William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com> writes:
> A check of "mount" showed that it had "sd0s2a" mounted as /, and although
> that and "sd0a" currently pointed to the same thing, evidentally mount
> didn't know this, and balked at the naming difference.  (Um, what is the
> exact required setup here?)

No, sd0s2a and sd0a are not the same thing. They have different minor
numbers, and that's what counts to mount(8):

finrod@saers /dev$ ll sd0*a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,   0 May 20  1997 sd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00020000 Sep 20 16:17 sd0s1a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00030000 Sep 20 16:17 sd0s2a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00040000 Sep 20 16:17 sd0s3a

> So, just update /etc/fstab and /dev, right?  Well, it's not that easy,
> since / is still mounted read-only, and I couldn't figure out how to
> change it to read-write.  (I think there's a way, isn't there?  I just
> couldn't remember at the time.  Can someone remind me for future reference?)
> So, out w/ the boot floppy and CD-rom: boot from floppy, fixit from CD,
> mount the disk on /mnt and fix (/mnt)/etc/fstab and (after a failed
> boot attempt) (/mnt)/dev.

If you can successfully mount other file systems, create a temp
directory on any local writable fs, get a fresh copy of MAKEDEV from
/usr/src/etc/etc.i386, create a device node for your root fs and mount
it:

# cd /var/tmp
# mkdir dev
# cd dev
# cp /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV .
# sh MAKEDEV da0s2a
# mount da0s2a /

Any local filesystem you can write to will do the job; disk, floppy,
OD, MFS, whatever. Even better, if you have a live FreeBSD CD-ROM, you
can use the device nodes on it provided you have a mount point for the
CD-ROM (unless you've already mounted other file systems, /usr, /var
and /mnt should be available)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no