Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:04:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        shawn@luke.cpl.net (Shawn Ramsey)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: group permissions

> I have noticed that group permissions are not working on our server. If a
> file is set to, for example :
>
> -rw-r-----  1 avatar  wheel     1307 Oct  2 17:07 avatar.txt
>

> Only avatar can read it. If world has r/w everyone can read. Ive tried

Make sure you are in group wheel by asking id(1).

$ id
uid=8999(helbig) gid=0(wheel)     groups=0(wheel)
		 this does not    this counts
		 count

What is the error message if you try to read it?

Do the directories of avatar.txt's pathname have the proper
permissions. You must have execute permissions on them.

Wolfgang