Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:33:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New prototype for the FreeBSD homepage

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> A first prototype for the new FreeBSD homepage layout ist available
> at http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/data/index3.html
> --
> Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://freebsd.org/~w/

Guten Tag, Herr Schneider

COMMENT
  I like the looks of this new page.
The layout is easy to follow and find things.

IDEA FOR CONSIDERATION
  Perhaps it is worth testing the new pages using
"http://validator.w3.org"

  I was particularly impressed with the idea of "automatically generating
an outline" using the HTML <Hn> headings. As people rely more on search
engines to find things, having a search engine 'understand' the logical
layout of your web page will become more important for returning
and presenting meaningful "hits" to the searcher.
  The validator site has an "automatic outline" creation option to test
the "logical layout" of your web page.

  A reason to validate to the w3 specifications is to support the concept
of Internet Standards that are independent of control by vendors
(specifically Microsoft and Netscape).  It seems that Open HTML standards
might be agreeable to many in the FreeBSD community, and one that the
FreeBSD web page might want to explicitly support, perhaps by displaying
the "Validated HTML 4" icon.

I LIKE THIS IDEA
  I am working on redesigning our own web pages to be HTML4 valid.
 The new HTML 4 specifications are forcing me to learn style sheets, and
to separate the logical (HTML) markup from the display (style sheet)
markup.
  It is extra work, but for my company's pages I have believe it is the
right direction to go.  Perhaps also good for FreeBSD...

  This idea is offered for thought.
The new page layout is very handsome, and reflects much thought and work.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat