Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:24:17 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

At 11:06 PM +0100 2000/1/21, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>  Thats not so easy. What about this:
>
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup1.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup2.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup3.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup4.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup5.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup6.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup7.freebsd.org.
>  cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup8.freebsd.org.

	As I understood the rules of good Domain Administration,
everything that is publicly visible in your network needs to have an
MX record.  But with this scheme you can't give cvsup.freebsd.org an
MX record, because pointing an MX at a CNAME violates the RFC.

	Personally, I would much prefer the CPAN solution of a program
that takes the IP address of the query source, and then using
knowledge of what IP addresses are generally located where in the
world (available via the whois maps in the various regions, which
could presumably be imported and stored locally), returns a short
list of addresses in the preferred order.  For those networks where
multiple addresses may have equal "cost", it can then randomize for
load balancing purposes.

	It requires either a hacked nameserver program for this one zone,
or the code to handle this has to be incorporated into cvsup itself,
so that you distribute the logic and CPU processing time to all the
clients.

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|