Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:33:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        DougB@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installing bind from ports to replace base

Back in Mar 2001, I did some work to see how we could use the ports system
to update bind8.  That is documented at
http://www.freebsddiary.org/bind8-from-ports.php and
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=331397+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-security/20010204.freebsd-security

Today the issue of installing bind9 from port arose.  One test showed a
problem with the man pages:

 ===>   Compressing manual pages for bind9-9.2.1
 /usr/local/man//man1/dig.1: No such file or directory

Notice the //

I suspect this is easy to fix with a command line option:

bsd.port.mk:MANPREFIX?= /usr/share
bsd.port.mk:MANPREFIX?= ${PREFIX}

I think that adding MANPREFIX=/usr/share to the instructions will fix this
problem. Comments?  I have no access to a test box for a few days, so if
someone would like to confirm my hypothesis, I will update the article
accordingly.

Another user (who had been trying to update bind from ports, and whose
system was in an unkown state), who had tried this reported this error:

install: /usr/etc/rndc.conf.sample: No such file or directory

When using PREFIX=/usr, and so tried PREFIX=/usr/local instead, which goes
against the objective of the instructions, to install over the base.