Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 06:13:20 -0400 (EST)
From:      Matt Martini <martini@invision.net>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ypserv

Chad,

Thank you for the information below.  Now pls. don't take this the wrong
way, because the info was truly useful, but I still need to know if/how
you solved the problem with ypserv.  Both my master and slave ypserv
machines are seg faulting this process every 2-3 minutes.  I did cvs the
RELEND_4_3 src and did  make all install in the usr.sbin/ypserv dir, but
the resulting binary was identical to the one from RELENG_4.

Matt

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:09:15AM -0400, Matt Martini wrote:
> >> If you're gonna upgrade your box from 4.2, why not go to the 4.3
> >> "most stable" branch (RELENG_4_3)?  Is it because you are only doing
> >> binary installs, and not source builds?
> >
> > Chad,
> >
> > Actually I used RELENG_4 which I thought was "most stable."
> > Am I wrong?  I am doing source builds (buildworld, buildkernel).
>
> Then you should have noticed that your "uname -a" is no longer
> reporting 4.3-RELEASE, but 4.3-STABLE by now.
>
> The RELENG_4 branch is what is referred to as -STABLE.  It is the
> branch to which some features are migrated after they've been
> installed and "burned in" in -CURRENT (which is RELENG_5 at the
> moment).  It's also the branch that has generated all the e-mail
> about occasional breakage and not being suitable for revenue
> generating production systems.
>
> If you continue to fetch and build RELENG_4, sometime next month
> your system will automatically transition from 4.3-RELEASE to
> 4.3-STABLE (probably already has) to 4.4-RELEASE to 4.4-STABLE, with
> perhaps a couple of -RC (release candidate) versions along the way.
> This may be fine, if you want your system to be picking up new
> features as they develop.  It's probably not what you want if you
> can't afford to have your systems break.
>
> So a new branch was created (RELENG_4_3), which is RELENG_4 that
> will only have security fixes and =major= bug fixes applied.  No new
> features or functionality.  This is what I run on production
> systems.
>
> 	-crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
> chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
> DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207

 Matthew E. Martini, PE        InVision.com, Inc.   (631) 543-1000 x104
 Chief Technology Officer      matt@invision.net    (631) 864-8896 Fax