Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 07:17:33 -0500
From:      ravenpub@southwind.net (Carl D. Cravens)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error running FIPS, Last cylinder not free...

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996 17:14:04 -0500 in list.freebsd, you wrote:
>I degragged my disk (running Windows 95, it is compressed) and re-booted
>under MS-DOS, hoever FIPS won't run says there is an error the last
>cynlder isn't free, then exits.  Any help would be appreciated.

If Win95 uses the equivalent of DOS 6.xx's DEFRAG, it doesn't like to
move a lot of files...  I tried it and it left "locked" files all over
my drive.  I guess anything marked as "hidden" counts as a system file.
If Win95's defragger left X's all over your drive map, this might be
your problem.

Try the shareware ORG... it locks the true system files and gives you
control over which other files you might want to lock.  I used ORG, my
defrag went fine, and FIPS ran like a charm.  (Nice little toy, that
FIPS.)

--
Carl (ravenpub@southwind.net)
* Windows isn't crippleware: it's Functionally Challenged.