Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:34:21 +0100
From:      Alex <FreeBSD@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions wanted - dealing with file sharing in AOL IM

Hello chip,

c> One of my sons asked me today, about opening a port on the firewall so he and
c> some friends from school can share files. I'm a bit leary of opening a port
c> on the firewall. I know my freebsd boxes will be safe from windoze viruses by
c> there are also 4 windoze boxes on my network. I was thinking maybe opening a
c> high number port, say over 50000 or whatever (at least then it would be
c> relatively safe from casual port scanners). Or is this 'stinkin thinkin'?
c> I suggested setting up an ftp site and he could give his friends passwords,
c> but he would rather just use the IM sharing feature. I've never used, so I'm
c> not familiar with it.
c> How have you guys dealt with this?

It would go with the ftp option. It better at not shutting any body
from his school, who is authorize to use it, out. If you have to
install this, say NO. If all you have to do is open it, and have a
natd redirect of the port, than i don't think there is any risk
at it.

--
Best regards,
 Alex