Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 12:33:44 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   BRIDGING, IPFW and SAMBA problem ...

I have been using bridging for quite some time.  After the major code stir
up during 4.2 STABLE, briding works great again ... except

Samba does now seem to work correctly.  Everything on my Samba shares can be
seen from Windows 2000 machines, but not from Win98 machines.  Is there a
protocol difference that would cause this?  I can't upgrade all my Win98
machines to Windows 2000 because of old software requirements.

My configuration is:

FreeBSD fuggle.veldy.net 4.3-RC FreeBSD 4.3-RC #0: Sat Apr  7 12:12:20 CDT
2001

It is based upon Mar 29 source.

I have two dc nics.  The outer nic is connected to my DSL bridge and the
inner NIC is connected to a 10/100 switch for my LAN.  I have assigned an IP
to the inner nic.  The IP is public (internet) as are all the IPs assigned
to the machines on my LAN.  I run IPFW to filter packets entering the
FreeBSD machine.  Also, I filter a very limited number of packets going to
the lan.

I have tried:

ipfw add 1 pass all from any to any bridged
ipfw add 2 pass all from any to any

I still can't see Samba from my Win98 machines.  Everything is otherwise
wide open.

All works fine (Samba included) when using NAT and a private net.

Any ideas?

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net