Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:47:12 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?fran=E7ai?= s <romapera15@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: That was the reason I post old news, for example, news of 2006, 2007

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:55:08 -0300, fran=E7ai s wrote:
> how to start studies on BSD?

Primarily by using it, accompanied by the Handbook and the FAQ,
as well as the manpages, I'd suggest. :-)

There are good books that teach UNIX fundamentals (which live
in all the BSDs), as well as books about FreeBSD in particular.
Currently "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating
System (2nd Edition)" by Marshall Kirk McKusick, George Neville-Neil,
& Robert N. M. Watson is on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321968972

But personally, I did also enjoy reading "The magic garden explained.
The internals of UNIX System 5 release 4." by Benny Goodheart &
James Cox. It describes the inner structures and mechanisms which
are found in all the BSDs today. I read books about Solaris and
AIX as well and found many similarities in the concepts and even
in the implementation.

Depending on what you want to study in particular (networking,
system-level programming, application development, security
models, file systems, etc.), you can concentrate on the
corresponding part of the system.

Keep in mind: "Nothing is hidden, nothing is revealed." :-)

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/mcse.html

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany