Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:25:32 -0800
From:      Douglas Davidson <ddavidso@apple.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stream.c as "monkey"

>In a way, stream.c functions as a TCP "monkey,"
>sending packets with insane addresses and port
>numbers. (It doesn't exercise the TCP option flags,
>but it could be made to do so.) Maybe this program
>should be regarded as a way to beat the stuffing
>out of the stack and avoid problems with long code
>paths, memory allocation problems, and/or future
>DoS attacks. It surely wouldn't make a bad networking
>regression test.

Also along these lines is "fuzz", by Barton Miller et al., which
could (and probably still can) crash an alarmingly large number of
command-line tools etc. by feeding them random input (CACM 33, 12
(Dec. 1990); also a followup paper in '95).  It seems natural that
there should be such a thing for network protocol stacks--perhaps it
already exists somewhere.  If I get a free moment I would be
interested in producing such a thing, and perhaps others would be
too.