Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:01:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAEhv.nl>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

In article <199802280317.UAA25486@usr06.primenet.com> you write:
>> I think it's about time people stop answering the question "can I
>> increase the size of an array?" with anything else than "not until we
>> have a filesystem to support it."  We're just confusing people.
>
>FFS can support increased size through the addition of cylinder groups.
>There are (minor) fragmentation issues with doing this, but they can
>be addressed seperately (most easily with a backup/restore).
>
>The code to bump the number of cylinder groups up is trivial.

I think I would be really helped with code like this. We are going to do
RAID-5 for several of our servers. Using both the PCI/DPT controller and or
external SCSI controllers. Now if we could grow FileSystems, like Simon
suggests, we could easily increment our available disksize as needed.

Next to the fact that it would be a nice feature of FreeBSD, which would be
nice to market.

The reason going for RAID is the reduction of down-time as disks do crash.
But this advantage would be an even better reason to do so.
Shrinking is something that is very rare for us.

>You can't bump the number of cylinder groups down without writing a

[Stuff on shrinking the FfS deleted]

--WjW
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 439 436
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands