Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2002 11:46:45 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        joygila@cs.uchicago.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind 8.3.3/ FreeBSD 4.6

> Hi there, ran into an issue
> compiling bind 8.3.3 on FreeBSD 4.6.
> Something about a missing probe_ipv6.
> Wonder if someone has been down this path...
>
> The Short of it (excuse my lengthy prompt) -->
>
> NS2:/home/jgila/BIND/src/port/freebsd# make clean

This is the wrong place to run make from. You should either use the
BIND port (in which case you just need make && make install), or you
shold run make from the BIND 8.3.3 "src" directory. This is how you
can do it:

% tar xvzf bind-src.tar.gz
% cd src
% make clean; make depend; make

BIND 8.3.3 compiles "out of the box" on FreeBSD 4.x.