Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 19:57:44 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd (and CD-ROM's)

<<On Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:35:50 +0100, "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG> said:

> It should be tought how to mount any device as a non UFS or NFS
> filesystem, such as /dev/fd0 as MSDOS.

What if the floppy in /dev/fd0 is not an MSDOS floppy?  amd currently
doesn't have any notion of binding devices to filesystem
types---that's the job of the system administrator writing the map
file---and I would object strongly if this were broken.

> There is no reason just to
> special case CD9660 devices.

I never said anything about devices.  I said it should know how to
mount CD9660 /filesystems/.  There is no earthly reason (except that
nobody has written the fifteen lines of code to do it) why one should
not be able to simply write `type:=cd9660' in one's map file and be
done with it.

> It would be nice to handle generic
> removable media actually, so you can run Iomega Zip & so on under
> AMD.

It already does, perfectly well thank you very much, by not doing
anything at all.  You write a map file describing what to mount and
where, and it does the appropriate thing.  That is its only job.  It
is not intended to sit there and buzz the drive every thirty seconds
to see if you've stuck something in there, like SGI's Workspace does;
if you want a program to do that, go write one.  It doesn't belong in
amd.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.