Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:53:33 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        bwolter@students.depaul.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot problems

On 4/26/00, 2:45:32 AM, bwwolter <bwolter@students.depaul.edu> wrote=20
regarding boot problems:

> hi,

>       i'm having trouble installing (or should i say booting) freeBSD =

4.0.
> The installation process seems to work properly.  The filesystems all
> appear to have been written to my hard disk and i recieve a message
> confirming that my installation has been successfully completed, yet
> upon rebooting the system the boot manager cannot find the proper boot=

> image.  it recognizes the freeBSD partition, but says that it cannot
> find any operating system.  if anyone could offer some advice it would=

> be much appriciated.

>       btw, if it's any help, i have installed freeBSD to coexist with =

a Linux
> distribution (SuSE).  perhaps this is the root of the problem?  at any=

> rate, any help would be much appriciated.

> thanks,
> brian

Dear Brian Wolter (?),

your problem might be related to the *order* in which your partitions=20
lie on your disk. I recall reading a Linux mini-howto on this subject=20
(Linux+FreeBSD) few months ago. I seem to remember that if you have=20
Linux on an extended partition, FreeBSD should be installed past that=20
extended partition; otherwise Linux might get confused and damage=20
(overwrite) your FreeBSD installation.=20

You should check this mini-howto out on your HD: as I have said, I=20
haven't seen much of Linux in the past few months (and I wiped it out=20
a few days ago; waiting for a new disk). =20

This piece of information might still be relevant. At least, if you=20
first installed FreeBSD.

HTH,
Salvo