Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:10:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      320048919767-0001@t-online.de (Heiko Schaefer)
To:        "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vcd

Hi Valeriy,

i see on the freebsd-multimedia list that you are interested in playing
vcds on freebsd. thats great, i am vaguely involved in a project that
develops a mpeg-2 and mpeg-1 video player for unix-like systems that also
works on freebsd (although you have to tweak freebsd 4.1-RELEASE's shared
memory for it to be able to allocate enough shared video memory... i
wonder why this is configured in that way by default...) if you're
interested you can look at http://xine.sourceforge.net. xine can play
mpeg-1 better than mtv by now (or so i'd say at least :-)) xine
synchronizes video and audio playback for example. currently only the cvs
version of it is worth looking at, we are not very far from making the
next release snapshot.

of course we are also interested in making vcd playback possible (i also
have some here :)) ! so .. where can i find this vcd-patch that you were
talking about on the list ? i am looking for a system-independant way to
make xine play vcds... is this "luoqi's CDIOCREADCD" something
freebsd-specific ?

would be great to hear from you!

cheers,

Heiko