Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        rick_schuder@merck.com (Schuder, Rick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remove "FreeBSD" at telnet prompt

> When someone telnets to my box, they are prompted with:
> 	"FreeBSD (hostname.domain) (ttyp0)"
>
> Is there any way to suppress this prompt?  In other words, display only
> "login:" when someone tries to telnet.

There is an easy way to remove this banner from a telnet session, AND a
console login.  To do this, you need to edit /etc/gettytab.  Serch for
`FreeBSD'.  It should be `im=...'.  That is the login banner.

If you don't want to remove it from a console login, you will need to hack
telnetd.

> Thanks,
> Rick_Schuder@merck.com <mailto:Rick_schuder@merck.com>
> Rick@lvcm.com <mailto:Rick@lvcm.com>

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

Love your enemies: they'll go crazy trying to figure out what you're up to
FreeBSD Rules!  Micro$oft Sucks!  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/