Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 18:50:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: project truck.....ideas wanted

> Another rumor I've heard about is that the introduced jitter may go
> away.  Interestingly enough, during the most recent 'war' (Desert
> Storm), there weren't enough GPS receivers that could read the
> 'encrypted' channel which has no introduced jitter, so they ended up
> turning off SA and using standard commercial receivers.  It kind of
> defeats the purpose.  That, and DGPS has made it virtually useless for
> anything 'sensitive', so there is serious consideration being made to
> kill it.

Heh, saying "there weren't enough capable GPS receivers" sort of
understates the military situation.  Talking to Bob, who was in Desert
Storm, reveals that some 90% of all GPS units used in D.S. were
civilian models, most of the troops having pooled their personal funds
and gone out and bought their own units before being deployed to
Saudi.  Line troops have this little "hangup" about calling in
accurate requests for artillery fire, you see, and there was so such
demand for them that very few units actually got the military models
they asked for, so they went to the civilian market on their own in
droves, even when the hand-held models were selling for $3K or more.
Bob's artillery unit even collected $3K in personal donations and went
off to buy their own, only to be frustrated when it turned out that
practically every available civilian unit on the market had been
purchased already and finding one for sale was almost impossible.. ;)

						Jordan