Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:11:29 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jim Barker <jbarker1842@my-dejanews.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail losing mail

Jim Barker wrote:

> I have a small problem with not knowing where mail that sendmail is
> getting from fetchmail is going.  I finally got fetchmail to retrieve
> mail from my POP3 host and redirecting it to port 25 on localhost.
> Now I don't know where it goes from there.  It doesn't seem to be in
> the user's directory.

Fix your broken mailer to wrap lines before 80 characters first <g>

Anyway, it probably wouldn't go into their home directory, if that's
what you meant, it will go into /var/mail/$USER. Have you tried running
`fetchmail -v' to show the SMTP conversation, to make sure nothing is
going wrong there?

> this machine uses user-ppp dialup to ibm.net
> this machine also uses fetchmail to get POP3 mail
> localhost:  lunchbox.ibm.net
> user's name on localhost:  jimbark
> user's name on POP3:  jimbark

So in this case your mail should be in /var/mail/jimbark

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)