Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/9841: Pagefault while scsibus scan on bootup

The following reply was made to PR i386/9841; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To: estartu@augusta.de
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:49:26 -0700 (MST)

 estartu@augusta.de wrote...
 > Kernel panics while detecting SCSI devices on a AHC 7880 onboard SCSI
 > controller (Asus P55T2P4S with AMD K5 166)
 >
 > Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in Kernel mode
 > fault virtual adress     = 0x4
 > fault code               = supervisor read, page not present
 > instruction pointer      = 0x8:0xf011c2d6
 > stack pointer            = 0x10:0xf024bd8c
 > frame pointer            = 0x10:0xf024bda8
 > code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
 >                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
 > processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
 > current process          = idle
 > interrupt mask           =
 > trap number              = 12
 > panic: page fault
 >
 > I have run the same Hardware unter 2.2-stable for about 8 Month without
 > problems. After updateing to 3.0-Release the problem started with
 > one or to retries. I Have cvs uped some times to Current. With changeing
 > results. I have uses a kernel build with a system an cvsupd un teh 6.
 > Dezember log time. with little problems (most time the system came up on
 > the second Try). I cvsupd tu 3.0-stable hoping the problem might be fix
 > there. But its still There
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Repeats nearly every time i boot up the system. This Time i needed
 > 17 reboots befor the system came up properly

 It'll take some more information before we can diagnose your problem.

 Could you provide:

 - a stack trace from the panic.  Put 'options DDB' in your kernel config
   file.
 - your kernel config file
 - complete 'dmesg' output from a successful boot

 Ken
 --
 Kenneth Merry
 ken@plutotech.com