Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:41:38 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:17:02AM +0000, shanon loveridge wrote:
> Hey there all,
>
> I noticed that most of you seem to be running
> jdk1.3.1p5. I have just started using linux-jdk1.3.1
> and it seems to be working fine. I was wondering if
> there are advantages with running jdk1.3.1p5 over the
> linux version.
>
> Thanks
>
> Shanon

Maybe not presently, but...

Yes, the native threaded version of the JVM will have the ability
to exploit stuff like the Posix AIO API when it maps itself to NIO. This
will allow it to have superior scalability over any kind of select()/poll()
model over many thousands of idle FDs. Hopefully, those two systems will
be conceptually compatible and the remapping of that IO event model will
be straight foreword under FreeBSD. With SMPng lock granularity replacement
and a new IO model I would expect it to be a very strong competitor to other
server-side systems in the Unix and NT kernel based arenas. It's not clear
if this group realizes the importance of this, but it's definitely one of
my implicit goals when I started working on native threading in this community
is to have world class IO event handling.

The current FreeBSD port is missing the very important HotSpot compiler and
other things necessary for it to be performance competitive with other Unix
based JVMs, etc...

Also, as a minor note, *cough*, native threading is a prerequist for the
JCK (Java Certification Kit) tests so that the current JVM we're working on
can legally be released to the general public. It's a bit frustrating in
that it's not clear to me or that I'm not getting the necessary feedback from
folks in the community that indicate that native threading is important
both of these technically and legally reasons from the luke warm responses
I get from folks.

Ok, gonna watch some TV now. ;-)

bill