Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:05:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-BETA hangs on boot

> > > Ok, so could this be the problem? I've been removing the "irq" part on the
> > > pccard line on all our boxes (and we have about 100 installations) and never
> > > had a problem with it. I've never tried setting it to "irq 0".
> >
> > Removing it should be fine.  I think it is more of a hack to allow an irq
> > setting to be there for the kernel config to pick up on and let the user edit.
> > :)
>
> Running the pcic in polling mode seems to slow it down (I see receiver ring
> buffer overruns with a 100Mbps network card in polling mode).

It shouldn't make *ANY* difference whatsoever if it's in polling mode or
not, unless the PCIC is so overloaded such that 'polling' slows down the
interrupt generation by the PCMCIA card.

> I've added irq 10 to the pcic line (Windows tells me this is the correct
> one)

It's irrelevant what Windows uses, except as a guide.

> and cards are detected correctly during boot and work fine. However,
> ejecting/inserting them whan the system is running doesn;t work anymore -
> pccardd is silent, cards are not attached/detached.

Then it's not working correctly.  However, FreeBSD is no longer
'polling for the insert/removal' status.  How fast is the box in
question?

Nate