Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:46:40 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio problems

> Hi there,
>  I have been having problems with using my modem.
>
> This first showed up when I had an internal modem.  Oh well, I thought,
> I've always wanted to own an external anyway, and then I bought an
> external modem.  No help.
>
> Here are the symptoms:
>
> I can talk to my modem -- send it commands, etc.  If I tell it "atdt" it
> picks up the line.  If I tell it to dial, it does.  It even hardware-
> handshakes with my ISP's modem.  But I don't get any data back from it.
> It doesn't even echo my commands.

Well, the echo should start with "ATE1" (I think).  You should save
this as the default - something like this:

AT
OK
ATZ
OK
ATE1
OK
AT&W
OK

> With userland ppp, I get the following output when I do a "show modem":
>
> device: /dev/cuaa1  speed: 38400
> cs8, no parity, CTS/RTS on.
> connect count: 0
> outq: ioctl probe failed: Interrupted system call

Oops - fixed in the latest version :-|

> outqlen: 0
>
> I've tried switching serial ports -- previously I had my mouse on cuaa1
> and my modem on cuaa0.  No help.
>
> I'm at my wits' end here.  I love this machine, I really want to be able
> to connect using it.  Some of you here have used this box in the past when
> it was narcissus.ml.org.  Please help.  :-(

The ATE1 only affects the modem when it's in command mode.  Are you
expecting a login prompt (or are you meant to talk PAP/CHAP) ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;